One of the bonuses of spending time in Sun City (Palm Desert) has been the numerous 55+ activities on offer. During our previous visits here, I took full advantage of the regular yoga classes. This year, I drew a deep breath and added daily aerobics. Despite my initial fears, I instantly fell in love with this program. The instructors and participants have been exceptionally warm and inviting…as well as being VERY social!
Along with the daily sessions, I was able to join in on their Halloween Luncheon and October Birthday Celebrations. As you can see, these ladies (joined by a few brave men) know how to have fun!
In these classes, I met fellow blogger, Susan Grace. She is incredibly inspiring, as is her writing. I encourage you to check out her site here.
I knew that I wanted to write about this group, but wasn’t sure how I would approach it. Yesterday morning, I was chatting with other participants while waiting for our session to begin. One of the women, Franny, who I always admire for her energy and big smile, mentioned that she just had her 90th birthday. I often work out directly behind her and would never have guessed that! Seeing the look of disbelief on my face, Franny offered to share her secrets with me. “It’s quite simple,” she said.
1. Move every day. Find the kind of exercise that you enjoy. You don’t need to keep the same pace as everyone else. Just get out there and have fun!
2. Try not to stress over stuff. Sure, bad things happen. We can’t always control that. But we CAN control our attitudes – which brings me to #3.
3. Have a positive mindset. It makes all of the difference in the world!
So there they are. Three simple truths from Fanny. They make much sense to me. When I stopped to reflect on Franny’s words, I realized two things.
1. I would add a fourth truth, ‘Social Integration.’ Researchers repeatedly tell us that being an active part of a community (like Franny and her exercise-buddies) increases our longevity.
2. The people who I admire most (including my own mother) brilliantly model the above wisdom.
What about you? What are your thoughts on Franny’s secrets?